Sunday, February 14, 2010

Snow? What snow?

First it was a white Christmas. Then...we get hit with an all time record breaking snowfall for Texas...EVER.
As you all know I live in Grapevine, right near DFW airport and we recd. 12 and 1/2 inches! Unreal. I did manage to get out and take a few pics of the gorgeous white stuff before it all too soon began to melt and run away. As I mentioned before, I LOVE to play in Photoshop/PSE. So some of the pics will have before and afters. Snow pictures are especially fun to work with. You can use a cool blending modes like gausian blurrs, hard light overlays, special PSE Actions, etc.  Here are a few examples. Enjoy!

The pool area has a beautiful patio, lots of trees and some cool lamp posts.
I used several different photoshop actions to get this nice warm diffused glow.


We have quite a bit of wildlife around here. I was fortunate enough to have my camera with me when I heard a commotion in some trees nearby. I looked up just in time to see this beautiful Sharp Shinned Hawk swoop out of the tree with his dinner in his claws. Poor little bird...but such is the circle of life, eh?
I used a combination of actions on this photo too but the main one was a hard light overlay that I learned from the the Pioneer Woman's tutotorial on this process. 



Next, here is a before and after show-n-tell. The first picture is a from a pretty good distance and as it is, not a great shot. but....
add in a little photoshop magic and tah-dah!
much better. Added a little pse soft glow, some overlay/blending etc. and this photos turns into a really nice panoramic shot with a nice ethereal burn. Looks really great when blown to full size.

Next...another cool shot of the snow and lamp posts. First, the original photo as taken, no-retouch:

Its pretty, but - add a little creativity and BAM!

You're in Narnia! (as in "The Chronicles of...")

Following are just some more fun, pretty shots. Hope you enjoy them and that you enjoyed the snow...as short- lived as it was.  I chose not to shoot the post-melt scenes. I just couldn't take the pain. All those poor little snow-man carcasses scattered everywhere, their sad little stick arms laying limply, detached from their melting little round bodies, eyes, falling off, heads rolling...but I digress.
Here are some more pretty photos before the carnage. ;-)

Heres a good example of shallow-depth-of-field focus.
 

I like this next one because you can actually see the snow-flakes suspended in mid-air.

Great color variation on this one. No re-touching either.
Just snow...simple and pretty. Looks like a fairy-land!


Warm glow and taken with no flash. Just wide open app.

Here's that hawk again...flying off with his to-go Happy-Meal...though I doubt the little bird is very "happy"!


This next photo is a great example of "bokeh'

I like this one because the way I shot it, the snow flakes that are falling look like little
shooting streams of light.
Well, thanks for taking the time to look. Please feel free to leave a comment or visit my photo site at Barbed Heart Photography.

 Stay warm and dry out there!
Rhonda


No comments: